Can You Still Teach Overseas Without a Degree?


It seems as though I get a message requesting that question in a email nearly weekly. A growing number of countries are not awarding work/teaching visas to anyone unless they have a degree. Some countries are more bureaucratic than others. Here’s an example:

Back in Thailand, where I taught for 14 decades, three ministries take part in the process: Education, Immigration and Labour. You can not teach officially without all their stamps of approval. Let’s say you get a job offer in the school in Thailand. What you then do is head into the nearest Thai embassy or consulate and get 3-month Non-Immigrant B visa. The’B’ gives one to travel to Thailand and work while the documents are being verified and processed. You also have to have a letter in your neighborhood police department saying that you are a good man rather than on anyone’s wanted list. Upon getting to Thailand, your school should have the capacity to do a lot of the legwork for you… if you are going to be employed by a government, private or International faculty. Some employ numerous foreign teachers that they will have a specific department put up to process taxpayers, renewals, etc.. They send your papers into the Ministry of Education. Until this ministry Requires them, you cannot receive work permit. Something for several aspiring teachers to notice is that Thailand and some other countries are now demanding your original documents: Degree, transcripts, and diplomas. If you simply bring over copies, you’d face delays therefore always learn precisely what you will need to attract.

BTW – the Ministries of Education are up to date on   ราชภัฏสวนสุนันทา   diploma mill degrees so don’t even consider trying that path.

In a few nations, there are still ways to teach with out some degree.

Option 1: in case there isn’t a degree and wish to teach, there are opportunities in countries like China, Vietnam and some Eastern European nations. I think that these will finally tighten their requirements too well but for now, chances continue to exist though perhaps not at the larger centers. These change all the time you would need to figure from the nearest embassy or consulate. The majority of these would likewise be online. Using a TESOL or even TEYL Certificate can help your cause.

Choice 2: You can try to find a teaching position in a business. Almost all businesses need their managers, managers and whoever has to take care of foreign clients, suppliers, Head Office, department offices, visiting dignitaries, etc., to be able to communicate with English. While many send their people to local English schools, many believe it is more cost-effective to hire inhouse coaches. If you are fortunate enough to fall into a corporate teaching job, you move an alternative path to receive your government refunds, being added for their own team as a’specialist’ and a level, while helpful, is not always a necessity. It proves you have actual training that may benefit you in classrooms.

How would you find these opportunities? You might either search on the internet or even take a trip up to the nation and explore while there (presumably like a tourist). In case you found some time whilst there, then it might demand a visit out of the nation and coming in on another visa. Be prepared for that. Countries vary greatly in their requirements. If you happen to find an interview, then be certain you’dress the part’. Look as a teacher. Take your resume ready, neat, grammatically correct and a photo about it (required over seas ). Australian teachers generally wear a tie and suit. Knee length skirt and a blouse for the ladies.

Choice 3: Do you’ve specialized knowledge that a specific school might need? This may be as an aircraft technician, for example. When a business had someone with your expertise and techniques, this will be another way you could easily get hired as a’specialist’ with special dispensation that you work/teach in the nation.

Choice 4: Contact businesses that are on the lookout for volunteers to instruct in certain countries. Watch what their education requirements are and ask for his or her advice. Maybe you can access it with them as and determine what comes up as you’re over seas. Being a volunteer you wouldn’t usually get paid but accommodation and meals will be covered. Who’s knows what teaching chances could develop?

Non-Options: I cite these because a few people today attempt to skirt the law by coming directly into some country on visas like Tourist, Education or Retirement. None of these enable one to work/teach… at least not in Thailand. A few of these visa-holders want to keep longer in their own visa allows, or than their funding allows, therefore they search out schools where they can teach and earn money to permit them to remain longer. Some schools are less enthusiastic about the regulations than they’re in educators at a bargain price. These may be amenable to hiring teachers willing to work for less than the going rate since their qualifications aren’t enough or that is actually a close friend of a friend. They would not be recorded as educators on the faculty’s citizenship and could be paid in cash under the table. I know this happens but I don’t recommend using this strategy. Claiming ignorance of this law is insufficient. You could end up being jailed or deported.

I strongly advise that you find a means to pursue your degree. If you are lucky enough to locate employment, then you can simply take your level online over a period of time. Even many of the old, established physical institutions provide online amounts today. If you are serious about teaching, it’s also wise to be intent on advancing your instruction. I feel that. Within my own experience, the best teachers are lifelong students and that I hope that you will become one.

You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *